Thursday, February 15, 2018

WORKING TOWARDS REDUCING PLASTIC

I've been reducing our household waste for some time now and thought I would show you a fortnightly plastic reduced shop that I did yesterday.

Now my shop might not look like much so I will explain a few things.

While I am vegan, my family is not so you will see lots of non vegan foods.
I buy Who Gives A Crap toilet paper that is wrapped in paper.
I get an organic locally grown veggie box every week.
I keep a well stocked pantry with staples.
We have chickens so collect our own eggs.
All soft plastics are collected for the Redcycle bin.

Lets begin...
Left to Right:
*Tortillas in soft plastic, that's an oops, I should be making my own but wasn't really thinking of it at the time.
*Chips for school snacks, I buy the extra large packets to reduce wastage.
*Bread, I try to make my own or buy at Baker's Delight and use my own fabric bread bags but I went to the local store right before my shop and they were closed for renovations.
*Kitty Litter made from recycled paper and in a paper bag.
*Fruit and veg with no single use plastic bags, I use my own reusable net bags.  I also bought a whole pumpkin as cut pumpkin was wrapped in plastic.
*Vegetable oil, not happy with this one but hubby wanted to fry fish and chips and I could not find any vegetable oil in glass or a tin.
*Flour in paper, not the coated plastic type wrap.
*Juice for the kids in cardboard cartons.
*Maple Syrup, cordial and soda water all in glass bottles.
*Vegan ice cream in cardboard container.
*Tins of tomatoes and pineapple.
*Honey in glass jar.
*Paper wrap for school lunches, unfortunately comes wrapped in plastic.
*Butter for our butter bell kept on the bench for spreading etc.
*Nutalex, I have to buy that in a plastic container.
*Deli Meat, in single use plastic wrapped in paper, I must try and use my own containers.
*Jars for pantry.
*Cat food, would love to find this in cardboard but they have switched to plastic.
*Meat on sale and in plastic, the rest of the meat will be bought from a butcher with no trays and minimal plastic.

Wow I thought I had done quite well but after typing this out, I can see I have such a long way to go.  Small steps,
Sue


3 comments:

  1. I tried to find oil for frying in glass as well but to no avail ☹

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I hardly ever buy a vegetable oil but Darren wanted it and I suprised that there wasn't a packaging alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading your comments and if I don't reply to all of them, please know I appreciate every one.
Have a lovely day :)