Saturday, December 4, 2010

SCHOOLHOUSE TUNIC

I bought the Schoolhouse Tunic pattern by Meg of Sew Liberated ages ago and even purchased the voile and cut it out ages ago too. Today I finally made the tunic.

A couple of things to remember with this pattern

*Don't think that it will be too small if you use your correct size on the pattern. I'm a size 10 and I must have had a fat day when I cut the pattern because for some unknown reason I cut it as a size 14. I managed to take in the tunic a little but it's still too big on me.

*Don't think you are a pro at an overlocker when you haven't used one for 10 years. Hmmm, all I can say is I really shouldn't have attempted gathered, curved seams on the overlocker before sewing first. There was a lot of unpicking and a lovely big hole in my sleeve, luckly I was able to modify the sleeves as I didn't have any more fabric left.

*Buy extra fabric if you really don't know what you are doing.

*I now know what a placket is and how to make one.

3 comments:

  1. Great job! I love your fabric choice. I made one in a shorter length earlier this year and agree with you about the sizing issue. I looked at a lot of other people's versions online and saw how a lot of them were too big and boxy. I wound up ignoring the measurements on the package and went with my usual size. I think anything larger would have been too baggy for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute top, Sue! I really like your fabric. Funnily enough, I picked up a tunic pattern today in the sewing shop (reduced to $6, yay!). Will be interesting to see how the sizing goes....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh it looks really good. Don't be too hard on yourself and enjoy the lessons learnt :o)
    Ab

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love reading your comments and if I don't reply to all of them, please know I appreciate every one.
Have a lovely day :)